2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Sunday, April 6, 2014

REVIEW for Big Fat Disaster




Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher, Merit Press,  for sending me an electronic copy of this book.



TITLE:            Big Fat Disaster

AUTHOR:      Beth Fehlbaum

GENRE:         YA

RATING:  


Absolutely one of the most difficult and raw books I have ever read on eating disorders to come under the word "fiction".

Colby finds a picture that will send her family and life into a downward spiral - with a family that does not know the meaning of the word selfless, this book will pull at every emotion you have - which for me, means suffering along with Colby has everybody in the world berates, laugh and totally disrespects her because she suffers from binge eating.

Suffering from the same eating disorder, I have to say that the author hit the feelings "right on" when describing the hell that a person goes through, thanks to an eating disorder.  I found myself getting angry at Colby's family - how can anyone live through such horrible behavior?  and I found myself yelling at Colby for not standing up for herself and not finding her voice.  This aspect of the story made me ma and pissed me off.

However, the rest of the story is so true - and the writing so honest that I will be asking a few people in my life to read this book - to better understand what eating disorders are about.  I am so proud that the author chose to acknowledge binge eater as being a disorder - so little has been written on this aspect of eating disorders and I want to give the author kudos.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I would read this.....I will keep my eyes peeled for it! I will add it to my book list ;)

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges