2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

REVIEW for The Truth About Us




TITLE:                 The Truth About Us

AUTHOR:            Janet Gurtler

GENRE:               YA

RATING:             


I truly enjoy reading this author's works. She writes realistic stories that are both sad and uplifting without going over the top silly.

The Truth About Us is basically a story about two young adults from very different worlds who want to come together despite everything. This book touched on a lot of emotions for me, at times, I found myself rooting for the characters and at the same time, I kind of saw why they could not be together. Its always a good sign for me when a storyline tears me in two - challenges me to think about a situation and question "what would I do if it were me?".

Very well written - I love that Gurtler uses day to day dialogue and does not fall victim to the "high prose" that many authors tend to do - if you have dialogue or a scene to discribe - don't take 10 pages to do it in.

I also enjoyed how none of the adult characters were particularly nice or were being portrayed as "knowing everything" - especially the moms of both of these characters and I won't even get into how much I disliked the dad in this one.

Excellent reading and excellent writing. I loved it.
 

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges