2024 READING CHALLENGE

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Tina has read 0 books toward her goal of 39 books.
hide

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

REVIEW for Speaking in bones




A big thank you to Simon & Schuster for granting me access to the digital copy on Netgalley.


TITLE:                 Speaking in Bones

AUTHOR:           Kathy Reichs

GENRE:              Thriller

RATING:            


I have read all of Kathy Reich's books and I have stated, in the past, that these are always hit or miss for me - its like unwrapping a box of chocolates, you never know exactly what you will find.

Speaking in Bones is average.  I would actually rate it 3.5 stars.  I didn't hate it, but there also wasn't much in the storyline to make me stand up and take notice.  Its a nice read.  Its not particularly exciting and by the midway point, you are pretty aware of who is doing what and why.

I was disappointed that Reichs did not take advantage of a, what I would consider, the perfect subject matter to create tension and suspense.  Instead, this book felt kind of basic, like she had to get something written so she put only about 50% of herself into writing this one, which I just don't get since the subject matter could have sprouted so much more.

I did read through it and I wasn't bored, I just wasn't involved and engaged.

I also actually thought that Reichs was considering going into another direction with the whole Ryan/Tempe relationship - unfortunately I was wrong.  As much as I like Ryan as a character, it feels as though this relationship is down (to me anyway) but apparently the author has another idea with a ploy at the eleventh hour that I thought was more manipulative than beneficial - but I guess we will have to wait and see on that one.

Overall, not a horrible read, just nothing particularly exciting either.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I stopped reading K.R's books years ago because they were so hit or miss for me as well.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the My Time kit by Studio Thaty Borges